Are you struggling with a health goal? Get support from a health coach.
Health coaching is offered at no cost to you through our Health Management program. Participating in a coaching program not only helps you improve your health, but also qualifies as a Take Action activity. That means you can earn an incentive if you also complete the Health Risk Questionnaire when it is available this fall.
What a Health Coach Can Do for You
Your health coach is your mentor, reliable resource, personal ally, accountability partner and motivational cheerleader all in one. He or she can help you:
- Identify a health goal (lose five pounds, improve nutrition, cook more, reduce stress, manage a chronic condition, quit smoking, etc.).
- Design an action plan that’s right for you.
- Identify small, manageable steps you can take to achieve your goal.
- Discover tips and tools to help you be successful.
- Develop new healthy habits (or break old unhealthy ones).
- Stay motivated.
- Succeed! (StayWell survey findings reveal that health coaching participants are more likely to improve risk factors, such as weight, blood pressure, nutrition and stress, than people who don’t participate.)
What Participants Are Saying
Does health coaching really work? Absolutely, according to previous participants. In a satisfaction survey,
100% of respondents said they were better able to achieve a short-term goal, develop an effective action plan for behavior change and improve their overall health. Here, in their own words, is what they like most about the program:
- “Simplicity, focus on the practical for me and my lifestyle, access to helpful information.”
- “The suggestions and ideas by my health coach were good. Provided new insight on how to manage nutrition and exercise goals.”
- “Very good program—liked how it created goals and accountability in meeting those goals.”
- “My coach was outstanding, energetic, enthusiastic, encouraging. She provided excellent education materials and insight.”
Take the first small step toward better health by signing up for health coaching. You have two options:
- “Easy Start” Calls & Mailings. Choose this option if you’re not sure where to start. You and your coach will have a phone call to discuss your overall health, identify a simple goal and create a plan. Your coach will follow up about a month later and mail information to your home that you can review after every call.
- Phone Coaching. Choose this option if you already have a specific health goal in mind. Your coach will work with you to create an action plan to meet your goal. Along the way, your coach will steer you to the right resources and offer overall support.
To sign up for either option, call the StayWell Helpline at 1.800.721.2696. Coaches are available Monday though Thursday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; and Saturday, 8 a.m. to noon (all Central time).
Published: May 9, 2014