For many people, the holiday season means lots of food—the yummy, not-so-good-for-you kind—followed by the inevitable weight gain. But not for you. You’ll party through the season without packing on the pounds with these healthy holiday tips.
- Be (a little) naughty. By all means, enjoy your holiday cookies, cakes and kugels. You don’t have to deprive yourself. Just keep moderation and portion control in mind. And plan out when you’ll allow an indulgence—at a party for example—and when you’ll eat healthy.
- Don’t spin out of control. Polishing off a plate of cookies doesn’t mean all bets are off, and you should start on the pie next. Forgive yourself, and then get back on track by eating healthy and avoiding those foods you can’t eat in moderation.
- Keep stirring. Keeping active helps you avoid holiday weight gain. Play music and dance while you clean, cook, decorate and wrap gifts. Even standing while you address holiday cards or shop online will burn more calories than sitting.
- Dash away. Sign up for a holiday-themed fun run or walk. Take a brisk walk to explore holiday lights in your neighborhood. Or take the family ice skating. Just wear appropriate clothing: light, warm layers; gloves; hats; scarves; and waterproof boots.
- Enjoy a winter wonderland. Sledding, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and building snowmen are just a few winter activities that provide fun and a great workout. Again, make sure you have the right cold-weather gear.
- Add fun and games. Consider taking the focus off food this holiday. Instead, emphasize games, conversation and fun. Try a game of charades, play hide and seek with the kids, hold a family dance-off or go bowling.
- Find a silent night. Constant parties, shopping and family obligations can be overwhelming. And the increased stress can lead to overeating. If you need to, delegate holiday chores so you can have some “me time” to relax, meditate or do things you enjoy.
- Stay merry. You also tend to overeat when you’re feeling blue. If you find yourself feeling down or lonely, reach out to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP), administered by Workplace Options. Caring, confidential counseling is available 24/7—even on holidays—at 855.897.4044.
Want more tips for happy, healthy and safe holidays?
Visit achievesolutionsglobal.net (company code: automation) for news articles about eating healthy during the holidays, avoiding weight gain, reducing holiday stress, handling homesickness, beating the holiday blues, surviving the in-laws, managing family expectations, simplifying your holidays, curbing your spending and more.