Going out of town this summer? Summer doesn’t only come with vacations and clearer waters, it can also provide an opportunity for thieves. Before you hit the road, read these dos and don’ts to learn how you can reduce the risk of burglary, fire and water damage so you don’t come home to a disaster.
- Get help from a neighbor, friend or family member. They can help make your home look lived in by parking in your driveway or taking out the trash.
- Talk to local authorities so they can drive by your house to check for signs of trouble.
- Download an app that allows you to link your smartphone to a webcam so you can watch your home from wherever your vacation takes you.
- Stop your mail service or have someone pick up your mail for you.
- Put your lights and TV on a timer to cycle on and off so it looks like someone is home.
- Lock any valuables you don’t take with you in a safe.
- Unplug electronics and appliances that don’t need to be running to save energy and reduce the risk of fire.
- Shut off your main water supply for an easy way to prevent leaks.
- Arm your alarm system. (Did you know installing an alarm system could lower the cost of your homeowners insurance?)
- Have fun!
- Hide a spare key outside.
- Lower your blinds. Keep them at their usual height and move any visible valuables out of sight.
- Change your answering machine to let callers know you’re on vacation.
- Post your travel plans on social media.
- Leave your GPS in your vehicle at the airport. Someone could break into your car and get your home address.
Take advantage of the special discounts on various insurance policies you receive from MetLife Auto & Home® and other leading carriers for being a Rockwell Automation employee. The program offers insurance policies including home, renters, boat, motorcycle, recreational vehicle and more. To learn more, call 1.877.638.7515 and mention discount code 06W.