If you’re enrolled in Rockwell Automation medical coverage for 2016, UnitedHealthcare (UHC) will occasionally send two key documents about your benefits—an Explanation of Benefits and a Health Statement. You can choose whether to receive them by mail or email. Before you decide, it helps to know what each document is for.
Explanation of Benefits
Simply put, an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) shows what services were covered by insurance. EOBs are created anytime you or a covered family member receives health care. They typically show:
- The service received
- Amount charged by your provider
- The amount covered (and not covered) under your plan
- The amount UHC paid to your provider
- The amount you will be asked to pay your provider
Although your EOB is not a bill, you should still review it carefully to look for any billing errors and understand what you pay. EOBs are posted to your myuhc.com account, but you can choose to receive them by mail if you prefer.
A Health Statement provides a complete record of your recent health care in one easy-to-read format. It usually:
- Covers information you’d find in multiple EOBs
- Summarizes the health care spend for all your covered family members
- Provides your UHC Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) balance
- Shows your progress toward meeting your deductible and out-of-pocket maximum
- Includes meaningful tips to help you use your benefits
UHC usually mails it to you within 30 days if you received care and you need to pay for a part of the service. If you received care and your plan paid in full, you’ll receive a Health Statement within 90 days—unless you live in a state that requires them to arrive sooner. You can also choose to receive them electronically.
Your Choice: Online or Mail?
Now that you know more about the EOB and Health Statement, would you prefer to view them online or receive them by mail? If you register for convenient, electronic versions, you’ll receive an email notification when a new document is posted to your myuhc.com account.
To make your choice, log on to myuhc.com. (Register for the site using the member number on your medical ID card and the Rockwell Automation group number: 904936). Once you’re logged in, click “Account Settings,” and then “Mailing Preferences.” Make your election.
If you don’t take action, your EOBs will be posted on myuhc.com and your Health Statements will be mailed to you.