Apply for Medicare with the Social Security Administration

If you will be age 65 or older when you retire, you can apply for Medicare, a federal health insurance program that helps cover your medical expenses. In order to apply for Medicare in a Special Enrollment Period, you must have or had group health plan coverage within the last 8 months through your or your spouse’s current employment. You will need to fill out Medicare Form CMS L564.

If you retire before or at age 65, it’s best to apply for coverage three months before you turn age 65. If you continue to work past age 65, it’s best to apply three months before your retirement month.

Find out more about Medicare by searching “Medicare” on the Quick Find.

Contact Medicare

Call 1.800.MEDICARE (1.800.633.4227). Go online to